PHIL/VALUES 291: Research Ethics (TTh 1:30-2:50 plus WF quiz section). In this course students will grapple with topics such as:
- the role of social values in science and ideals of objectivity;
- the rights and interests of human subjects as well as other stakeholders affected by research;
- misconduct in research, including not only outright fraud but also more subtle forms of error and misrepresentation;
- the ethics of publication and peer review;
- ethical decision making about risky research: are there lines of inquiry scientists should not pursue?
The instructor is Alison Wylie. No textbook will be required – all assigned readings will be available on Canvas. Counts for I&S. Optional “W” credit.