Center for Quantitative Science
Summer Quarter 2017
Predoctoral Instructor Position
Q SCI 292: Analysis for Biologists II
The Center for Quantitative Science announces one Predoctoral Instructor position available for Summer Quarter 2017. The position will be filled subject to available funds from the Summer Quarter Office
Q SCI 292 (Analysis for Biologists II): Predoctoral Instructor
Introduction to integral calculus, emphasizing development of basic skills. Examples promote understanding of mathematics and applications to modeling and solving biological problems. Topics include areas under curves, volumes, and differential equations. Prerequisite: minimum grade of.7 in either Q SCI 291 or MATH 124. Not available for credit to students who have completed MATH 125 with a 2.0 or higher
The instructor will have full responsibility for the course. Q SCI 292 will meet Monday through Friday daily from 8:30 a.m. -10:40 a.m. Class dates are: July 20 through August 19, 2017 (Summer Term B). Appointment is % 100 FTE July 16-August 15, 2017.
Responsibilities are as follows:
- Lecturers at 100% FTE should expect to average approximately 40 hours/week.
- Conducting labs, help sessions and recitation sessions
- Grading homework and exams
- Maintaining office hours.
- Current academic standing as a UW Predoc Graduate Student (pursuing a PhD) and eligibility to hold a Graduate Student Assistantship
- Availability for full appointment and class time frame
- Experience as a TA or Lecturer or their equivalents
- Competency in calculus
- Background and enthusiasm to communicate effectively with biology, zoology, conservation, ecology and natural resource management students.
- Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration
- Predoctoral Instructors will be required to register for a minimum of 2 credits during Summer Quarter; the successful applicant will be responsible for paying any student fees. Operating fee (including most of tuition) will be paid. Graduate Appointee accident/sickness insurance will be provided.
- This job classification is governed by a negotiated labor contract and is subject to union shop provisions.
- Please submit the following by email (email@example.com) or in person (FSH 116, Box: 355020- Attn: Joe Kobayashi). Applications will be reviewed upon submission.
- Statement detailing:
- Interest and qualifications for teaching the course(s)
- Prior experience taking/teaching Q SCI courses
- Current academic status, home department, and faculty advisor
- It is possible for one person to teach both Q SCI 291 & 292. If you are interested in this option, please indicate as such in your application. In this case the appointment would be 100% FTE June 16-August 15.
- Applicants will be notified by email of our decision.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of Washington is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact the Disability Services Office at 206.543.6450/206.543.6452 (tty) or email@example.com.