Do you love your College of the Environment major? Do you want to share your passion for the environment with future students? If so, then you would be a great fit for the College of the Environment Undergraduate Student Ambassador Program!
In order to represent all 7 majors in the College we are seeking to fill these specific openings (to replace our graduating seniors) for the 2018-19 academic year:
- 2 new Ambassadors from Earth and Space Sciences
- 2 new Ambassadors from Atmospheric Sciences
- 1 new Ambassador from Bioresource Science and Engineering
If you are interested in joining the program, please complete the online Student Ambassador Application in Catalyst by Wednesday, April 25th:
The Details (also available online):
Who are the UW Environment Undergraduate Student Ambassadors?
Our Student Ambassadors are undergraduate students in College of the Environment majors who want to connect with prospective students to share their experiences and support them with the application and college/major decision process. Learn more about our current ambassador team: https://environment.uw.edu/students/future-students/future-undergrads/student-ambassadors/
What do Student Ambassadors do?
There are a wide variety of ways for student ambassadors to get involved, based on their interests. A few options include:
- Interact with prospective students (high school & prospective transfer)
- Answer prospective student questions about the College of the Environment
- Create a web student profile where future students can learn about your academic path
- Guide future students and their families on tours of College of the Environment buildings
- Welcome recently admitted students (April)
- Contact recently admitted students to welcome them to the College of the Environment community and connect them with resources
- Host admitted students for “Shadow a UW Environment Husky” program (an admitted student will shadow & attend class with you)
- Engage in Admitted Student Preview Day information sessions and student panels
- Represent the College of the Environment at Events such as:
- Student Panels (exploring majors, careers, etc.)
- Earth Day Celebration in Red Square (April)
- Sustainable UW Festival (October)
- College of the Environment Future Student Visit Day (Summer)
- DawgDaze/Winter DawgDaze
- Native American Student Day
What’s the time commitment like?
Student Ambassadors are required to:
- attend one full day of training at the start of each academic year; typically a weekday before the start of autumn quarter
- attend monthly meetings during each quarter (weekdays, one per month; typically 4-6pm)
- volunteer for at least two events each quarter, typically 2 hours minimum per event
- complete an online video training and quiz for safe interactions with youth (about 40mins)
- attend one diversity, equity and inclusion training each year (varies but typically 3 hours)
We ask Student Ambassadors to commit to participating in the program through one academic year but you are welcome to continue with the program through the summer after graduation. Freshman welcome!
What will I get out of this experience?
- Develop Skills & Boost Your Resume – perfect your elevator pitch, develop leadership, communication, and public speaking skills
- Build Community – welcome and support future members of our community while connecting with your peers across our 7 undergraduate majors
- Good Karma – you will help future students explore UW and College of the Environment majors and will provide them with the tools needed to be successful in their initial quarters at UW
- Mentorship – Receive training and mentorship throughout the program, access ambassador-only career development/networking opportunities, and receive a letter of recommendation upon completion of your first academic year of service
How do I become a UW Environment Undergraduate Student Ambassador?
- Complete the online Student Ambassador Application by Wednesday, April 25:
- Selected candidates will be invited to a 30min. interview with 3 program representatives the week of May 7th
- Offers and notifications will be made as soon as possible after interviews are completed
Questions? Email our Student Ambassador Student Coordinators: email@example.com